Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
City of St. John
Street Department Laborer
The City of St. John is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our street department team as a laborer. In this position, you will be responsible for performing a variety of manual labor tasks to maintain and improve the city's streets and sidewalks.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including health insurance and a retirement plan. Starting salary is $41,697 with a very competitive benefits package including health, life, and dental insurance and LAGERS retirement. Send resumes to the City of St. John, 8944 St. Charles Rock Road, Suite 100, St. John, MO 63114 , Attn: David Campbell or send a resume and cover letter to David Campbell at email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. The City of St. John is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you are a hard-working individual who is passionate about improving your community, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
CITY OF ST. JOHN
Title: Public Works Laborer FLSA: Non-Exempt
Under the supervision of the Street Department Superintendent, a laborer performs a wide variety of assigned tasks involving semi-skilled labor and equipment operations. Work is performed in maintaining streets, sidewalks, public rights-of-way, trees, public parks, snow removal, equipment maintenance, maintenance of City vehicles and facilities, and performs related work as required.
Principal duties and responsibilities
1) Maintains streets, sidewalks, and curb and gutter by patching, repairing, and sweeping; installs and maintains street signs, decorative street lamps, and landscaping in public rights-of-way; cuts down and trims trees, mows grass, maintains park equipment and buildings; maintains City owned buildings. This function normally requires approximately 75% of work time.
2) Operates seasonal equipment including snow plows, salt spreaders, and limb chipper. This function normally requires approximately 20% of work time.
3) Maintains all street department equipment including cleaning, preventative maintenance, repair, and proper storage. This function normally requires approximately 5% of work time.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required
1) Knowledge of methods, materials and practices involving the construction and maintenance of concrete and asphalt streets, curb and gutter, sidewalks, and concrete block retaining walls.
2) Knowledge of methods, materials and practices related to the general repair of buildings, plumbing and electrical systems, playground equipment, and small engines.
3) Knowledge of methods, materials and practices related to grass cutting operations including use and maintenance of lawn mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmer and leaf blower; plant maintenance; tree removal, trimming and maintenance including use of chain saws, power limb trimmers and limb chipper; snow removal operations including use of snow plow and salt spreader; ability of operate backhoe and skid loader; ability to drive large vehicles such as 2T dump truck.
4) Graduation from high school or equivalency and experience in construction and/or public works construction preferred; requires general knowledge of construction methods, use of power tools such as circular saw, grinder, drills, etc.; ability to read and use tape measures, levels, and assorted hand tools.
5) Requires a valid Missouri driver’s license, a clean driving record, and ability to operate manual transmission.
6) Requires the ability to perform manual labor including lifting and moving heavy objects of up to 100 pounds; move rapidly from a sedentary to active condition in response to environmental situations or events; ability to work in all weather conditions and be on call as required for snow removal operations and emergency clean up; ability to bend, squat, kneel and twist often repetitively.
The majority of work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
This position may involve exposure to and requires the employee to function in the presence of the following: personal danger, including but not limited to, belligerent and/or dangerous persons; persons and/or articles with contagious/communicable diseases.
Because department employees who deal with the public may come into physical contact with others, the City will not knowingly expose citizens or other employees to an employee infected with a contagious disease that poses a direct threat to others.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by a laborer in the Public Works Department, and to provide some sense of the level of skill, knowledge and ability required to perform this work. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the personnel so classified. Likewise, the percentage of time associated with the duties and responsibilities is general in nature and may fluctuate depending on the needs of the department.