Business License Procedure
On behalf of the Mayor, City Council, and City of St. John Staff, we are proud that you have chosen our City for your business venture. To help ensure that your business will open in a timely manner, this checklist will hopefully help guide you through the entire process.
- Contact the City Clerk at 8944 St. Charles Rock Road, First Floor, who will make sure that you receive all required paperwork.
- Complete Commercial Occupancy Application and submit $75 fee for the first 5,000 square feet of floor space and $5 for each additional 1,000 square feet or fraction thereof to schedule a Code Compliance Inspection. If premises is occupied prior to obtaining an occupancy permit the fee is $150 for the first 5,000 square feet of floor space and $5 for each additional 1,000 square feet or fraction thereof to schedule a Code Compliance Inspection.
- To schedule inspections, please contact Community Fire at:
9411 Marlowe Avenue
Overland, MO 63114
(We would suggest requesting the same time as St. John's inspection.)
- Upon passing both inspections, apply for a City of St. John Occupancy Permit. This allows you to stock your business, etc. to prepare for opening day. (If any building permits are needed for framing, electrical, plumbing, etc. make sure you make application with both St. Louis County and the City of St. John prior to applying for the St. John Occupancy permit.) Proof of County inspections will be required by the St. John Building Inspector.
- The final step is obtaining your St. John Business License. You can submit the following documents at any time during the process, but the City Clerk must have all required documents and have issued your business license prior to opening your business. These documents are:
- If your business is a Corporation, please provide a copy of the Certificate of Incorporation from the Secretary of State and Registration of Fictitious Name with the new St. John Address.
- A copy of your Missouri Sales Tax ID Number document and/or your Federal Employer ID Number document. The Missouri Sales Tax ID Number is issued from the Missouri Department of Revenue and the Federal Employer ID Number is issued by the IRS. These documents must contain the name and address of your St. John Business.
- Copy of your Missouri Retail Sales License issued from the Director of Revenue, and must contain the name and address of your St. John Business.
- Your business has 5 or more employees, please provide a copy of your Certificate of Liability Insurance for proof of Workman's Comp coverage. Liability limits must meet State's minimum requirement.
- E. If leasing the building, please provide a copy of the Lease or have the Owner sign the space provided on the Commercial Occupancy Application. (If the business is located in St. John Crossings, a full copy of the Lease must be provided.)
- A copy of the approved Fire Department Occupancy Permit issued by Fire Marshall. Submit this to obtain St. John Occupancy Permit. (See number 4 above)
- If the business is a Restaurant or Liquor Establishment, a copy of an approved Health Department Inspection must be provided and/or a Liquor License applied for.